Saturday, June 16, 2018

Trip planning and cost.

    I have wanted to go on a long trip out west for years . My wife says sure but she wants reservations and a hard  itinerary of where we will be going. Me I am more turn right head west enjoy the ride.

      I want to see the Rocky Mts. Mesa Verde, Arches all the Utah parks . the Grand canyon, Vegas, death valley  and Yosemite plus a lot of side trip thrown in. If I want I will head north and do Yellow Stone and Jackson hole.

     The trip I want will be about 7500 Miles and take 8 to 10 weeks. This is where my wife loses her interest . She wants a more there and back in 3 no more than 4 weeks. She wants a new truck and her camper and campgrounds with full hookups. I understand she is a woman they are like that. That new Liberty Jeep was bought to make this trip pulling the palomino teardrop. 





  It isn't the big one but it is comfortable and easy to pull. The cost difference is  HUGE. I plan on starting this trip first of September and completing it the end of October. 

    The fun finder and my truck would take 2000$ in gas and  campground cost of 3000$ to make this trip plus food and other cost. Any breakdowns  could break me and end the tip.  Compared to 900 $ in gas and boondocking  cutting  campground cost  to 1200$. As far as a breakdown with the jeep and teardrop it could end the trip but I could just walk away from them. Now the hard part is laying out the trip to avoid snow in the mountains during October.




8 comments:

  1. The places you mentioned you want to see would make a great trip. I've been to all of them, worth the effort and expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike its been my bucket list trip for years. The wife just wants it planned to the minuite on where what and when or she don't want to go.

      Delete
  2. was going to mention it has snowed in august before. maybe do the mountainy part and north part first and swing to grand canyon and other more southern points on way home.
    take lots of water, desert is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb I was thinking of the northern part and mountains first. A little longer but so what.

      Delete
    2. had friend over 40 years ago drove up the mountains into colorado. car died of the strain right out there. were able to get a tow truck but car was kaput.
      modern engines seem able to take more hardship.

      Delete
  3. If you can swing it, the Durango - Silverton narrow gauge train ride is worth the effort. The in-between has some awesome backcountry that only people who backpack waaaay back there get to experience. Did read that the excursion is being cancled until the end of June because of the fires up near Durango.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard it was a good value but Colorado may be off the table this year,s trip.

      Delete
    2. Okay, you had mentioned Mesa Verde (a really COOL place to visit), the train is in the Four Corners region too. Not really far at all.

      Delete