Thursday, May 17, 2018

a lite weight cast iron pot ?

           I love my cast iron skillets and pots but they are heavy. Since my surgery I have had trouble with my left wrist because of the skin graft and nerves that they removed . Some cast iron demands 2 hands to handle. I have mostly Lodge  but a few Griswold and Wagner pieces . I  always keep a 12 inch lodge skillet on the stove .     Remove It and DIE !!!!!    Why, because it hurts my wrist to dig it out of the cabinet. I use it Everyday its my tater and egg skillet .  I also have a lodge 3.2 quart fryer with a skillet lid combo that I rarely use now . My son asked if he could "borrow it"
You know kid code for if you say yes kiss ever  seeing it again  goodbye.  Lodge 
                                                           I was willing to get him his own pot and skillet and found this  at Wal-Mart  In there Ozark trail line .Ozark trail 3.2 combo

          

    It is only a 1/3 as heavy as the lodge but it looks well made and was only 11 $ . So far I have just cooked bacon in the skillet  I think I like it. Time will tell how it holds up and cakes up a good seasoning layer. I may get these down the road . cast iron is a true multi generational item. 

                               2 quart
12 inch

8 inch


7 comments:

  1. hi.
    love cast iron but don't use mine now because bursitis and arthritis.
    sounds like leaving it on the stove is a good idea.
    not much lifting.
    we have the small frying pan that was mother-in-law's but have never used it. will pull it out and try it.
    tell us in a year how the ozark trail pans work out. if 1/3rd the weight it is a good alternative ad can be as easy to clean as the lodge.
    was told lodge has been made in china fr some years now and isn't as good.
    have started my daughter to learn some chinese. may become the best second language to have before she dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb as best I can tell all Lodge is still made in Tenn. the plant just was modernized a few years back. I never worked in a foundry but have been around several they are dirty and dangerous if the old school sand mold method.

      Delete
    2. thanks for info. had read that good lodge pans were history.
      ours are all old except the griddle.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff sir. Inherited my Grandma's Wagner deep skillet and a no name legless dutch oven, they provide some good meals. No idea how old the dutch oven is, but the Wagner is remembered by Mom at least 1952 when she was five years old.

    Yes - very heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Wagner 8inch from the 30,s that was my grandmothers. New Lodge will never match the old quality but I think the Ozark is a decent quality and weight for the money.

      Delete
  3. I have and use just two cast iron fry pans, one big one and one small one and one pot used in the oven. Seems to work well for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself using mine less due to weight. This was just a cheaper liter option.

      Delete