Thursday, July 19, 2018

My house is old !!!

       OK a lot of people have older homes . Mine is just older than most . I know Will Proctor grew up here, he died in 1982 at the age of 86 any way the best I can tell the house was built 1890 to 1900 by will's father. So its over a 120 years old . Now I know it has been renovated 2 times. Once in the 30's they enclosed the back porch to make the kitchen and bathroom. Again in the 50's new roof, floors and the cedar siding. A minor one in 83 for electrical and painted inside and out. For its age it is still pretty solid ,but for about 10 years the kitchen floor has had some bounce,a sage and a dip that I should have took care of a long time ago. 3 years ago I picked up a floor jack like this one.  Steel column jack



  Instead of a steel beam I used  a 4x4  crossmember and one jack .
Once I had it screwed to level (It took 2 weeks and 4 adjustments) I replaced the column with 2 4x4 ones . I need 2 more supports put in so I needed the jack for them. When I get done the kitchen and bathroom will be sturdy and level. By using the 4x4's this is only going to cost 70$. If I left the jack posts it would have cost 6 to 800$ once done.

    I am feeling about 70% of my old self . Being down for a year a lot around the house suffered. I will admit a lot was on the back burner (like the floor) and painting when I got sick now is the time to catch up. I would hate to relapse and leave my wife with these problems to  contend with on top of me. If all goes as planed she will have new flooring and fresh paint  and counter tops in the kitchen by Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment