Friday, August 24, 2018

Car repairs and mowers

   I posted awhile back that my wife's car needed a starter. Well last week my son "volunteered" to do the job. I had belts for the mower come in from Amazon so he came over today to do both for me. The mower took less than an hour to replace a drive belt, deck belt and blades . 40 $ in parts and 40$ in labor now it's  running and cutting like a new one. Its a 2006 MTD I gave 100$ for 2 years ago. I helped on the mower but on the car I was a supervisor :).

         Now I knew the starter was going to be difficult as its a Chrysler 3.0 engine. I found a good YouTube video on replacing it . I had my son watch it . He informed me he had watched one and it was nothing like the one I showed him. Ok hard head this is your job . We got the car up on stands and he looks at the engine. Dad lets go watch that video you had again. This don't look like the motor on the one I watched. He was so hard headed I had to make him stop 4 times to re watch the video when he got stuck on a "how do I" points. It took 2 hours to remove, if he had FOLLOWED the video steps it would have took 30 minutes max.

      I pulled the part up on Auto zone 146$  Advance and o riley was the same  at 148$ all had it in stock. Amazon had it 49.95 free shipping be here Tuesday. So it was get it done Tuesday cheap or today for 100$ more. My son said he would come back Tuesday and put the starter and valve cover gaskets on if he could have the 100$ difference in part cost. Deal !!!!! Boy was he happy said putting the 2 part on wouldn't take 2 hours .

      What I didn't tell him was I planned on paying him 100$ for the work any way.  I don't feel bad he isn't doing any thing and we fed him fried porkchops taters pintos cornbread and corn .  I will feed him good Tuesday and I have paid his insurance for a year + on his/my jeep. If he wasn't so stubborn he might become a decent wrench turner. I was at one time always hated it. If I had been paid by the cuss word I would have retired at 30.


      I had priced the starter repair for this area averaged  349 . the valve covers was 120. Even paying my son  the savings is over 300.
A Leaking valve cover let oil short out the starter  that's what started all this.      


6 comments:

  1. if all car designers were mechanics you'd see engine design improve overnight.
    years ago told our mechanic i wish i had a new car.
    he said 'no you don't. i am replacing spark plugs o a new car and have had to pull the engine'!!
    for spark plugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This starter was simple because to change rear plugs you have to un mount the engine roll and raise it. So your 100% correct.

      Delete
  2. Well, did your son test drive the mower and mow the lawn too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I had to do that. But it cut and shifted like new.

      Delete
  3. The joys of modern technology. Now you understand why after going back to school at 29, getting a two year degree in automotive technology and then working at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership for 10 years, I had enough.
    After spending thousands of dollars on tools and training, I finally came to the conclusion I had no use for these modern cars.
    It took me 4 hours to change the water pump on my wife's Ford Focus. You could see it, it only had four bolts holding it in but you have to take the motor mount off, drop the engine and take it out the bottom. They made two different ones and two different belts, depending on the VIN number and the size of the A/C clutch. Four trips to the auto parts store later, I finally got the damn thing in.
    It takes about an hour start to finish on my 83 GMC Caballero.
    (El Camino) with the V-6 in it.
    I flat do not know how people can afford to have their cars worked on anymore.
    Probably why leasing them is so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now buy used that is able to be worked on reasonably easy. The convertible was my wifes way of punishing me back in 04 for being a horn dog and catching me.

      Ps I deserved it :)

      Delete