Monday, March 26, 2018

Auto part people and yard work

   Sunday the temp climbed to 70 by 10 am . That seems like what it takes for me to quit having chills. I decided to clean up around here as it has been a year since I was able to do much.  Over the last month on warm days I have piddled with this and that but not really accomplishing much. What I wound up with was a bunch of unfinished projects. I felt froggy it was time to finish a few of those projects.

     First thing was a bunch of brush I had cut back in January needed burnt . So I got that started . Next was I needed to crank my riding mower . I had pulled the battery before Christmas and put it on a float charger so it wouldn't need to be replaced. Got it back in went and got a gallon of premium no alcohol gas 2.99 . I need to fill a 5 gallon can with that . The riding mower started right up first try. The grass wasn't high but decided to do a quick pass around the back yard.  Nothing, I forgot the deck belt broke last fall cutting leaves .                                                                                                                 It Sunday so its O'Rileys for the belt  it takes an A75 v belt.  I tell the kid A75 v belt  Gates mfg. He looks lost  I need the application to look it up he said. No its an A75 that's the part # son. Son let me talk to the manager . Over comes the manager he is my age I figure he is their go to guy WRONG !!!! He is as Dumb as the kid. A 3rd man comes over asks me to repeat what I wanted so for the 5th time I ask for  A75 gates belt . It an A groove 78 inch belt for a mower . Now this man finds me a 78 inch mower belt proper which is a woven belt for 38.99 .   HELL  NO !!!!   They break as fast as a cheap A belt . I leave there and go to auto zone . First counter person didn't even try because without make model and year he admitted he was useless . I can respect him for admitting it and finding me someone that could help. The man he passed me to knew what I was looking for said they didn't stock them but could order me one for12.99 be in Wednesday or I could try a 4L780  for 13.99 and he had them in stock .  A 4L is a little wider than an A belt but it seems to be working better than the A belt did less slippage. My normal store is NAPA. I worked at their warehouse back in the 80s  I pulled belts and hoses for 145 stores for 3 years .

      I finally get back home reload the brush burn pile spend a hour putting the belt on twice. I had it twisted and it jumped track first try. Keep feeding the fire cut the front yard . Raked leaves and trash up around the garage to add to the fire. 
      What won't burn that I want gone I load on to my old white truck . I jumped it off and moved it around to load  it and let it run to charge the battery but I  have to watch so it don't run hot. I worked from 10 am till 6pm but I wrapped up a lot of odds and ends. I was tired and sore but in a good normal way.

    

2 comments:

  1. God bless you!! you are back in the saddle and no moss grows on a rolling gary!
    so glad to see God at work. He is Rapha [Healer].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more like a toddler crawling fast. God just doesn't want my company yet :) .

    ReplyDelete