Thursday, October 2, 2014

A cheap prepp that has great shelf life.

     OK we all know about beans and rice,whole wheat,sugar.All these are great long term storage items.Alone they aren't very appetising so you need other items to benefit from them.One item every prepper should have in my opinion is Krusteaz pancake mix.I get a 10lb bag at Sam's for 6.98 It makes 200 or so pancakes that can be eaten plain or with butter and syrup.
    I have eaten a bag that was 4 years out of date and could not tell it from new.No it wasn't froze it was in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement.Now it had not been opened was just stored in what i call a grab and go bucket.Usually they are stamped with a use by date 18 months to 2 years out.I have no fear of this product 3 to 5 years or more past the use by date.A 10 lb bag has 16,000 calories add in a little sugar syrup(1 quart hot water 4 lb sugar tbs vanilla).For under 10$ you get over 24,000 calories.

2 comments:

  1. That's a good idea. I use to store Pancake/Waffle mix but discovered the recipes for them are simple so now I just use my white flour and many times whole wheat flour to make them as I need them.

    The LDS stores white flour in #10 cans for 10 years. That's pretty good. They also say that should the flour smell a little musty sift it to re-introduce oxygen in it and that freshens it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike I always recomend this to new preppers because its a simple item they are use to.To a more dedicated prepper #10 cans of flour make more cents.Thanks for the sifting tip had'nt heard that before.

      Delete