Friday, August 23, 2013

A disturbing news item.a Personal delima.

http://news.msn.com/us/govt-aid-pays-more-than-a-minimum-wage-job-in-35-states   


I see my state is a red one to.Not all that big of  surprise just a little sad.

   I have thought about applying for food stamps i wont lie it has crossed my mind more than once.I have no outside income just what i hustle doing BBQ.My wife is drawing her unemployment 120 a week .Me and my wife have never made it official {she would lose about 400 a month when she retires if we did}we both have been married before.She has hide my n@^$ and i have to behave now.My youngest daughter only works part time.On a W-2 we only have an income of 1000 a month.WE are a family of 3 {funny how i pay the bills and buy groceries and they make more than me}and qualify for 390 to 420 a month in SNAP.I guess its pride that stops me.I understand some people need it to eat my oldest daughter was on it till this job.

    Last month i was grabbing a few groceries at the store about 40$ worth had payed all the bills was a cash short week.As i worked my way down the last isle to the check out in line was a Mexican family mom dad and 3 kids.The oldest kid was maybe 10 was translating for his parents they had 2 buggies full {no this isn't a steak and lobster story}of groceries it was 580$.I hear the boy tell the cashier EBT mom swipes the card then i check out.Now this is what got me in the parking lot they were loading a Cadillac excalade with 4000 $ rims and Texas plates.That got to me!
    I ha vent applied for anything in my 50 years and these people had probable moved to Alabama because of lax rules and higher pay outs than Texas.I have never begrudged anyone in need but that seemed wrong on so many levels.Running through my mind now is as a Conservative constitution loving American should i keep making it the way i have or apply for what i qualify for and put that amount into food guns and bullets .Is adding a nail into the government's coffin patriotic or wrong? I love my country our government not so much.
  

6 comments:

  1. That's a hard one to know what to do. We're taught from infancy not to take anything from the government. On the other hand, what you saw is going on all over the place. My thought would be this. If you take state assistance while you are getting back on your feet, I can see nothing wrong with it. You don't seem the kind of person to abuse it, and the added income might help you get your business off the ground and be better off. Besides, what have you ever got for your tax money that you paid all your working life? Odds, are, not a thing. Just look at it as getting back some of what they stole from you, took without your consent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks harry jury is still out.I have it better than most working families with a house and car notes,I dont have those monsters anymore.I have first years cost covered onthe food truck if i do that.

      Delete
  2. Gary,
    It is admirable that you do not want to use food stamps or other government aid and I use to feel the same way, but hey bud let’s get real. You and I have paid taxes all our lives just so other people can live far better and stress free than we do today! If there is any way you two can get onto any assistance program, do it! If you don't many other will and they never pair a dime into the programs. It will not be long before ALL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS are gone because there is no more money to fund them. Why? Because people like me and you and your children simply can not fund them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mike I will have to overcome a lifelong conditioning if i do apply.Do i have to have it NO ,but i do qualify.If i do file i promise every dollar i get would go into prepps.Also with 7 grown kids care boxes already get passed out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gary, I've seen the same thing, even in my own family. It kills me and hurts me as an american. I love my oldest Grand daughter but she is single with 2 babies, she is a great Mom for being 22 but she gets food stamps and it burns my ass! I was working at 14 years old and was brought up to work for what you want. We have six daughters between us and only 3 work! We are retired due to health issues and luckily my husband worked over thirty years at the same place and was a teamster but, they took half of his pension away because he wasn't over 60 yet, didn't matter that he got to hurt on his job and lost over 70% use of his arm along with other injuries. We don't have any medical coverage because it cost almost as much as our mortgage does. We are on tons of meds, 1 bottle of insuline for us is 189.00 dollars and it don't last long but I see people get all they want for free at walmart. Our goverment forgets who paid taxes all these years. We are forgoten and over looked. Today I picked up only a few meds and it was almost 400.00 and that was none of mine or any insuline and needles. I feel your pain, a few years ago I may have thought differently but today, I say worry for your family first. I agree with Harry. Best of luck to you. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lori.i think i will be appling i just got a letter that i owe 1200$ in taxes from 2008 and they have added it to my property taxes.Makes me smile to repay them with their own money.

      Delete